Monday, April 2, 2012

"Let the Children Come !" 

Loryn has a cavity. A fairly good sized one. I missed it. The school nurse found it. I felt guilty. This morning we went to the dentist and as we drove along Loryn recounted this story with great carefulness, great detail, and great urgency:

" Mom, Ya know, when I was at my Sunday school at Kel's church I heard a story. " 
"Ah hah..."
"Well, there were these men and a bunch of kids gathered around and they said to the childrens, "Let's give Jesus a break."
"Ah hah ..." Wondering, "Where is this headed ?"
"And Jesus said, " Let the children come."

Silence followed. The story was complete. I waited for more and was pleased with her clarity of re-telling this story. Frankly, I was surprised. All at once, I was comforted and disturbed by the story as I often am. Comforted because Jesus has his priorities right and disturbed because I often don't. 

I asked Loryn how she felt about the story when she heard it. With precision and efficiency, she said, " I felt good."  The story telling was complete and we turned our attention to finding our way to the dentist office. 

And then with McCullough-ian quickness, she said, " Mom, Ya know, there were these ladies gathered around Mary and they said, ' Mary needs a break...' " she paused and giggled and that was that. I thought I was entering into a long string of , " there were these people gathered and ... " but it stopped at the giggle.

I do wonder what the end of that story was going to be... 

I finished it this way thinking that the story was that Mary and Martha were gathered around Jesus and his friends gathered, too. Martha was busy and Mary was busy. Jesus said, "Come sit with me awhile",  and Mary stopped what she was doing and sat at his feet and listened. A short time passed and Jesus said to Martha, "Please, come sit down with me." "You need a break." And Martha stopped what she was doing for just a little while and sat down with Jesus and his friends.

It is easy for me to be caught up in the day to day requirements of laundry and cooking and paying bills and ...
it is good to hear the invitation to, "Come!"  I am glad that my children help me to listen.

1 comment: